Friday, November 12, 2010

Parting of the Sensory



I will preface this post by saying that I don't believe in a god. I don't subscribe to any religion, and I'm a big proponent of the separation of church and state. That being said, most of the religious theories on what happens to us when we die don't make sense to me, except for one. Reincarnation.

Now, I don't mean reincarnation in the traditional sense in which you die and become another being and continue living on, but I mean it in a more scientific sense. If you think about it, everything in the universe is just as old as one another. You, me, the moon, and the sun are all the same age. We are all made of the same particles and elements which were created when the Big Bang happened. It's an incredible and sometimes overwhelming concept to me when I think about the sheer beauty of it.

Eventually you will die, and your particles will be broken down to supply new life forces with materials to live, so in effect you are still around. I wonder where all the carbon molecules in my body have been before I was born? What famous historic things have my particles lived through? It's just amazing to go outside at night and look up at the stars, knowing that I share the same building blocks with everything else, and the universe is like one big, living entity that recycles everything.

Someday I will die and somehow something's gonna steal my carbon...
...but I'm ok with that.

13 comments:

  1. Well that's one way of putting it, but I'm sure if you said that to some nut who totally lives by the knowledge that they will be reincarnated as a tiger or something, World War 3 will break out. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. would you be okay with a mad scientist stealing your carbon while you were still alive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i believe this too, and im totally ok with it. Where does the energy go that made up your thoughts and actions? It gets regenerated also. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought about it that way. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get it. There is a droplet of water inside my body right now that may have been part of Marilyn Monroe's piss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matter cannot be either created or destroyed. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, so THAT'S why Charlie Sheen has tiger blood running through his veins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cool story, needs more... actually it doesn't, it was great!
    love your blog, definately following!
    check out mine, follow back if you like it?
    f-a-i-r-y-l-i-g-h-t-s.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete